Hours: Mon: 8AM – 7PM, Tues: 8AM – 7PM, Wed: Closed, Thurs: 8AM – 7PM, Fri: 8AM – 5PM, Sat: 8AM – 5PM, Sun: Closed

Little-Known Toxins Pet Owners Need to be Aware of

Little-Known Toxins Pet Owners Need to Be Aware of

There are a large number of little-known toxins that can put your pet in danger.

Our pets depend on us to meet their most basic needs, including sustenance, shelter and, of course, love. As a pet owner, it’s essential that you make decisions in the best interest of your pet, and in order to do that, you have to know what is good and what is bad for them. Unfortunately, there are many substances that are toxic to pets that many owners just don’t know about. Here are the little-known toxins that all pet owners need to be aware of:

#1. Acetaminophen

Acetaminophen, which is the same thing as Tylenol, is one the most common painkillers on the market today. People use acetaminophen for everything from headaches to arthritis, but it’s not something you should ever give to your dog or cat, or be left in a place your pet can access. Acetaminophen, as well as anything containing acetaminophen, can cause inflammation in the liver, and in severe cases, liver failure, in dogs and cats.

#2. Mushrooms

Whether they are wild or you bought them at the grocery store, it’s essential to keep mushrooms away from your pets. When a cat or dog eats a mushroom, they are likely to weave when they walk, almost like they are drunk. Additionally, eating mushrooms can cause vomiting, organ failure and even death in pets. Scan your backyard carefully for wild mushrooms, and when you buy them, keep them far away from your pets.

#3. Azaleas

Azaleas can be a beautiful addition to your flower garden, but they aren’t flowers pet owners should keep around the house or the yard. Azaleas are highly toxic to both dogs and cats. Your cat or dog only has to eat 0.2 percent of their body weight to be poisoned by azaleas.

CTA

#4. Poppies

Poppies are another flower that may look great in your garden but can also be dangerous to have around when you have a cat or a dog. When cats and dogs ingest poppies, much like when they ingest mushrooms, it can cause them to weave when they walk. It can also cause sedation, slowed heart rate, slowed breathing and coma.

#5. Raisins and Grapes

Grapes and raisins are some of the most beloved snacks for children, but if you have pets, watch your kids like a hawk when they are eating them. Ingesting just a single grape or raisin can cause dehydration, vomiting, diarrhea and kidney failure.

#6. Aloe Vera

When you have a sunburn, nothing is more soothing than slathering on the aloe vera. While aloe vera may be good for you, it’s not so good for your pet, so don’t let your dog lick you after you apply the aloe vera and store it in a safe place. When pets consume aloe vera, they are prone to diarrhea, vomiting and tremors.

Limiting your pet’s exposure to the above toxins can help you avoid finding yourself visiting the emergency veterinarian. If your pet has consumed any of the above substances, contact our veterinarian in Levittown right away.

Leave a Reply

Font Resize
Contrast