Keep Your Pet Safe This Halloween

 

Keep Your Pet Safe This Halloweendreamstime_xxl_34152025

Halloween is full of fake scares and fun frights, but it isn’t always so fun for our pets.

While you are out trick-or-treating with your kids or carving pumpkins, you need to make sure that your pet stays safe and out of trouble. Halloween can come with many things that could be potentially hazardous to your four-legged friend. At East Meadow Veterinary Clinic, our veterinarian in Levittown is dedicated to helping you to enjoy a fun, safe holiday. That’s why we’ve come up with the following guide to keep your pet safe this Halloween:

CTA

#1. Candy and Treats

Many pet owners know this already, but chocolate is toxic for our pets. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which can stimulate your dog’s nervous system to a dangerous and possibly deadly degree. It’s important to note that chocolate is also toxic for cats, but cats are less likely to actually eat it. Artificially sweetened candy commonly contains xylitol, which is also highly toxic for pets. Other concerns include food wrappers, alcoholic beverages and other human foods and drinks. Keep the Halloween treats far away from your pet, and never offer them any people food unless you know that it is safe for them.

Artboard 7#2. Decorations

With so many new objects around the house, your pet’s curiosity is likely to be piqued. Make sure that you keep all decorations out of your pet’s reach, and that includes power cords, pumpkins, candles and more. Your pet could chew on a power cord and get an electrical shock, they could ingest something that might require surgical removal or they could burn themselves on a candle or inadvertently start a fire. Keep your decorations far away from your pet!

Learn about more ways to keep your pet safe this Halloween by staying tuned for our next blog.

Halloween Infographic

Leave a Reply

Font Resize
Contrast